By Yoshiko Matsumoto
Faces of Aging foregrounds a spectrum of elder-centered issues—social job, caregiving, generational bias, suicide, sexuality, and conversation with doctors, to call a few—from the viewpoint of these who're residing them. The volume's assorted individuals signify the fields of sociology, anthropology, drugs, nursing, gerontology, psychology, movie stories, gender reviews, conversation, and linguistics, providing a various number of qualitative reviews of getting older to researchers around the social sciences.
Read or Download Faces of aging : the lived experiences of the elderly in Japan PDF
Similar gerontology books
The reward of Generations is a comparative learn of getting older and the social agreement in Japan and the USA. by utilizing unique, systematically similar facts accrued in those international locations, the booklet explores different cultural definitions of vulnerability and giving, and the methods they form and constrain the social thoughts of routinizing assisting preparations.
This e-book examines the increase of welfare markets in Western societies and explores their functioning, law and embeddedness by way of addressing the actual box of previous age provision, together with either retirement provision and aged care. It is going past an insignificant social coverage research by means of investigating significant cultural underpinnings of the hot (quasi-)markets, with those underpinnings embracing collective normative representations of the way societies (should) institutionally deal with previous age.
During this quantity, presidential students from communique, heritage, legislation, philosophy, political technology, and psychology discover the wider phenomenon of management. Like management extra in most cases, presidential management is a value-laden job, an workout in conversation, and a collective firm.
Alzheimer's disorder is characterised by way of reminiscence disturbances and adjustments in character and is linked to getting older, even though it can take place in humans below sixty five. it's a revolutionary illness, painful to witness because the patient's wellbeing and fitness declines. Alzheimer's affliction: Cause(s), prognosis, and Care, with its entire and authoritative discussions, may help all features of this advanced affliction.
- Older People
- Reforms in Long-Term Care Policies in Europe: Investigating Institutional Change and Social Impacts
- Problems in Geriatric Medicine
- Remembering Home: Rediscovering the Self in Dementia
- Ageing and the Labour Market in Japan: Problems And Policies (Esri Studies Series on Ageing)
Additional info for Faces of aging : the lived experiences of the elderly in Japan
The role of deliberate practice in the acquisition of expert performance. Psychological Review 100: 363–406. Freund, A. M. 2008. Successful aging as management of resources: The role of selection, optimization, and compensation. Research in Human Development 5: 94–106. 34 Keiko Takahashi, Makiko Tokoro, and Giyoo Hatano Freund, A. , and P. B. Baltes. 1998. Selection, optimization, and compensation as strategies of life management: Correlations with subjective indicators of successful aging. Psychology and Aging 13: 531–543.
Isaacowitz, and S. T. Charles. 1999. Taking time seriously: A theory of socioemotional selectivity. American Psychologist 54: 165–181. Chou, K. L. 2002. Financial strain and life satisfaction in Hong Kong elderly Chinese: Moderating effect of life management strategies including selection, optimization, and compensation. Aging and Mental Health 6: 172–177. Ericsson, K. , R. Th. Krampe, and C. Tesch-Romer. 1993. The role of deliberate practice in the acquisition of expert performance. Psychological Review 100: 363–406.
2. Summary of findings among Old-timers, Main-stayers, and Newcomers Domain Old-timers (O) Main-stayers (M) Newcomers (N) Differences Everyday practices Percentage of attendance at seminar N of shots in a month (mean, SD) N of photos for a seminar (mean, SD) N of resources for acquiring knowledge (mean, SD) 80% 100% 100% ns. 05) O, N > M*** Awards (Times 1–4) (mean, SD) Theme for photography Acquisition of knowledge N of Ss who gave concrete knowledge to beginners N of techniques suggested to beginners (mean, SD) N of Ss who referred to importance of instructor Awareness of technical progress (mean, SD) Evaluation of others’ photos (Time 1) (mean, SD) Successful Aging 25 would like to point out that they had a flexible attitude toward coping with aging.